Twelve Years in England

Revd Canon David T Haokip M. Div, D. D
(Abstract from Diamond Jubilee Magazine, Holy Cross College, Rangoon 2010)
It was first week of June, 1979 when I arrived at the door of the Holy Cross College, 104 In Ya Road, Rangoon, I think it was around 9 am in the morning, and I came from Mandalay by train. I was received by a student who was cleaning the class rooms (forgot his name) he took me to the office where I met Revd Samuel San Si Htay, the Principal (later Archbishop). He said something to the student I had no clue what he was saying; then the student took me to the room where I was going to stay, I still remember that the room was in main building, third room from the end, facing the In Ya Road. I was very scared to learn theology as many young Anglicans do those days but excited to see the Holy Cross College and Rangoon which I had heard of many times and all good things from my parish priest (vicar) Revd John Mya Than of Homalin (later Archdeacon, then Bishop of Mandalay).


The following day, after Morning Prayer and Eucharist, the Principal asked me to come to the office for an interview. I was shaken with nerve to hear that but I said a prayer and went to see him after my morning meal. The reasons were 1. Even though I was asked to come to the College, I hadn’t filled an application form yet; I was accepted because of Bishop of Mandalay, the Right Revd Peter Ba Maw’s strong recommendation. So I filled the application form, 2. As the interview started; the first question was, say the Lord’s Prayer, I replied I don’t know. The second question was, say the Apostles Creek and I said the same answer. The principal took out his thick glasses and cleaned his eyes and said I will give you a chance, if you don’t progress in the next 3 months; I have to send you back home. The interview was over and I was shocked and almost cried. (Later the Principal realised that the Kukis don’t use the Burmese Prayer book, and I knew the Lord’s Prayer and Apostles Creek in Kuki language). That was a big relief!

I was given a scholarship which came from the Sunday school children of Ramsay Abbey Church in Winchester Diocese. I received Ks 25 pocket money every month and was able to use it for my expenses like going home on summer holiday. In 2001 I was invited to preach to my sponsor Ramsay Abbey Church in Winchester Diocese. The Vicar and the members were so delighted to see me and hear my testimony. Ramsay Abbey Church is where Lord Mountbatten of Burma worshiped and was buried.

Another unforgettable day was 17th of September 1997, the day I landed in England from Korea. I left home in 1993, lived and worked in India and Korea; I had very different experiences in my life and in the ministries. I also had learned many lessons, most of them were based on what I learned and experienced from my days at the Holy Cross College and Mandalay Diocese.

I was given a tuition scholarship at London Institute of Contemporary Christianity and I had to meet all the expenses like; the accommodation and living. Some of you might know that the Institute was founded by Revd Dr John Stott, who was the Rector of All Souls Church in Langham Place, London for many years and was also the founder of Langham Partnership International. I first met him at Holy Cross College (c.1980) and got my own first English NT (NIV) from him. I think every student got it.

In short, I had to find a college after I finished at London Institute, to continue my studies. It was a great privilege to meet the Right Revd Andrew Hla Aung, Bishop of Mandalay in London after Lambeth Conference in August 1998 whom I knew very well as a colleague in the ministry and then Bishop in Mandalay Diocese. His advice and guidance was a starting point to get my Permission to Officiate (PTO) in the Church of England.

My family and I were very blessed to know and meet the Most Revd Dr Andrew Mya Han in London in 1999 during his visit to attend the Primates Meeting. Without his support I would not have gotten my work permit. I first met him at Holy Cross as a lecturer and acting Principal (c.1980) during the time that Revd San Si Htay had to further his studies in Switzerland. The Right Revd Michael Scot-jyont, Bishop of Winchester and the Revd Ian Johnson Rector of Southampton were the main supporters for us to get a stay and work
permit in this country. And many other people helped us during the early years in England.

I was a Team Vicar in Southampton Team Ministry (team ministry is 3 or 4 parishes united and one administration benefit) in Winchester Diocese and in charge for St Matthew’s Church in Newtown District for five years (2000-2005). Some of you might know about the Titanic, she was built in Southampton and started her voyage from Southampton Port to America. There is a Titanic Memorial Stone which is in my parish. St Matthew’s Church was over a hundred years old and almost redundant but I had to restore new life to the church and take it as a missionary field in the parish. Revd Ian Johnson Rector and my clergy colleagues and members were very supportive but it was a really hard job to minister there. I was so privileged to welcome the Most Revd Dr Andrew Mya Han in 2000 and 2001, and also the Most Revd Samuel San Si Htay in 2003 to my home and the Church. Bishop Barnabas Thaung Hwi stayed almost 3 months during his sabbatical leave, I was instrumental for his visit and was able to introduce him to the other parishes in Winchester Diocese; he became a great friend of our family. I and Tin-nu my wife were able to invite the Right Revd John Mya Than, Bishop of Mandalay in 2003, a poor man from Mandalay who was in his old age and we were able to talk about our old days of Homalin and Mandalay. Ko Peter Aye also stayed a week in our home during his training in Birmingham; we’ll never forget his openness and lovely smiles. Revd Dr Mg Doe and other Burmese friends also visited.

One of the first unforgettable moments in Southampton was, just a week after I arrived, an English lady knock my door asking me for help, she was the first person I ministered as a priest in this country. You’d never thought of me ministering white people, do you? I and my family have always needed help in our lives. I a poor man from Homalin, it felt like God using you to minister the people here in England. In that night, God spoke to me through Psalm 40. Please read first three verses.

After five years of hard labour we had weekly services and 25 members including children and young people at the church (don’t be surprise, when I arrived there was only 7 members and had Holy Communion once a month) but sadly I decided to move on to other parishes. A year after I left, the Diocese decided to make St Matthews redundant and sold the building.

Moving to a new parish is very different from the Anglican Church in Myanmar. You are allowed to go anywhere you like. The Bishop doesn’t have anything to do with your move, it’s all up to you, just inform your plan. You have to find yourself vacancies in different parishes in Dioceses. You have to write to vacancy parishes, who have short lists, if you’re on the list; you will be invited for an interview. After your interview the parish will email or phone you, to say yes or no. If they say yes, you and the Parish council have to start planning for your move, then the Bishop will licence and install you. You will get the keys of the church and a big celebration, normally this happens in the evening. This is very similar to a Bishop’s enthronement in Myanmar. The Bishops will keep in touch, if you move other Diocese all your files will be sent to the Bishop of Diocese.

If the Parish says no for your interview, you have to keep trying different parishes until you get it. That is the system in Church of England at this time. There is freedom but don’t forget it’s hard to find a job. Some vicars take months and years till they find a job. It is very secular.

I was very blessed; I went to an interview and got the job to work at St George and St. Ethelbert Parish Church, East Ham, where I’m still currently working. See my Parish website: www.st-georges.ik.com. My parish is very special in different ways, the origin of St. George’s church was built in 1912, and unfortunately it was burnt down in 1935. But the new Church was rebuilt in 1937 and added St Ethelbert as a half of the funding came from Diocese of Hereford where the name of the Cathedral is St Ethelbert.

Over 10000 people live and work my parish and as we are a state church the vicar is responsible for all people (church member or not), for pastoral care i.e. their marriage, wedding, baptism and funeral etc. There are over 100 people in our electoral but only 50-70 people attend every Sunday. We have a Sunday school, youth group, over 50 clubs, Brownies and Scout groups and Mother’s Union, but no men’s group yet. The Church of England has a new prayer book called “Common Worship” dated in 2000. There is freedom to organise services, which is down to the priest. We don’t have Holy Communion every Sunday in the main worship but I just call it Morning Worship on the first Sundays and Allage Worship on the third Sundays, in other words we have 2 Sundays Holy Communion in a month.

I have two associate priests, one is an English man the Revd Canon David Driscoll who helps me on two Sundays, who is in his semi retirement and works other two Sundays in different parishes. The other is  Revd Dr Gabriel Anan M. A, Ph D, he is Self Supporting Minister. We are a very happy and welcoming Church in the east end of London. Revd James Min Dein (now Bishop of Sittwe) and Mr Pre Kwin were on my licensing day and stayed overnight at the vicarage. Archbishop San Si Htay and his wife were at my house worming party in 2005. Bishop David Than Lwin had preached in 2006 and Bishop Noel Nay Lin preached on my Silver Jubilee in July 2008. Archbishop Stephen Than Myint Oo visited couple of times, Bishop Barnabas and Bishop Gam Di visited during Lambeth Conference in 2008 and also Bishop Daniel White Kyin visited with his wife. I have Justina Say Lwai Phaw as an organist. We thank God, for celebrating 25 years in ministry in 2008 and I was awarded D.D in 2005 and an honorary Canon of Diocese of Sittwe in 2009.

I founded Friends of Burma (UK), we are praying for the Church in Myanmar and raising money for needy people, especially children in Tamu. We have a Burmese Party every year. We also have a Kuki Fellowship every month in my home. We have Mon-hin kha, balachaung, and noodle soup for lunch and we are very blessed. We’ve moved to St Georges Church since July 2005 and now to married Tinnu and have 3 children
Secondary school and Gina (8) the Holy Cross College in April 2009 I came to know about the Jubilee
write this article today. God bless and long live Holy Cross College.


David T Haokip
5th September 2009/London.


My Life in Pictures:














Dr David Haokip and family 
Tags:

About author

Curabitur at est vel odio aliquam fermentum in vel tortor. Aliquam eget laoreet metus. Quisque auctor dolor fermentum nisi imperdiet vel placerat purus convallis.