Mary Kom: A ruthless boxer, a doting mother

NEW DELHI: It was hard for Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom to stop smiling. Even though she'd barely slept in the past 48 hours, she didn't mind answering questions after questions and posing for the camera.

For the five-time world champion boxer, attention is something that she's had to work hard for and no one could fault her for basking in the glow of the flash bulbs.

"Coming back from motherhood to win not one but two titles was tough. People discouraged me, including my father, by saying that I should focus on raising my family. People laughed at me when I said I want to win another title. I saw it as a challenge.

The only support I had was my husband's. It was tough. Par maine socha main kar sakega", Mary Kom recounted her journey to the zenith.

Anointed 'Magnificent Mary' after her blistering show at the Worlds, the agenda for Mary Kom still remains the same: practice and more practice. Just hours after winning the final against Romanian Steluta Duta, Mary Kom was up at 9am and logged in two hours in the ring before catching a flight to Delhi.

Even now, Mary Kom won't take it easy for she has an Asian Games trial to fight on Wednesday. "These trials are only for those that were selected in Bhopal but we found the results to be inconclusive. We asked her to take a break but she was adamant. She said she's in the flow and wanted to get it over and done with," IBF secretary general Col PK Muralidharan Raja said.

Mary Kom is set to fight friend and statemate L Sarita Devi for a spot in the 51kg category — higher weight for Mary Kom who fights in the 48kg.
The champion, though, is unfazed. "I have over 10 years' experience behind me. I'm mentally very strong and putting on a few extra kilograms isn't a problem."

Dejection at missing out on representing India at the Commonwealth Games sits raw on her face, especially since, funnily enough, she's one of the brand ambassadors of Delhi 2010.

"It's not in my hands. It's sad that India is hosting the Games and women's boxing isn't included. But at least we have the Asian Games and London Olympics. The aim is now to win a medal in London, preferably gold. After that nothing's left to win," the words came out, with no hint of arrogance.

Meanwhile, the urge to give back to the sport that has given her so much is growing stronger. Her academy, home to 25-30 kids from impoverished homes, is an attempt in that direction.

"When I retire I want to be a coach. I want to create world champions who'll win medals at the Olympics and World Championships. It'll be good for India."

Bearing the brunt of punches is nothing new for the pint-sized dynamo but as a mother she is as soft as they come. She seems intent on shielding her sons from the ring and the boxing gloves.

"I don't want my sons to get hurt. I don't want them to go through what I've had to. It's a lot of hard work and lots of suffering. But I don't mind if they play tennis. My family was too poor and tennis is a very expensive sport so I chose a cheaper alternative," she smiled.

~ TOI
Tags:

About author

Curabitur at est vel odio aliquam fermentum in vel tortor. Aliquam eget laoreet metus. Quisque auctor dolor fermentum nisi imperdiet vel placerat purus convallis.